Rhino closes its five-volume rock instrumentals series with an 18-track outing devoted to surf guitar. This fast-paced, prickly, and frequently exciting form may not be among the most diversified structurally, but if does offer some surging playing from its practitioners. They range from founding father Dick Dale to its most popular bands, the Surfaris, Belairs, Ventures, and Chantays. While not particularly a hardcore surf collection, this disc certainly outlines its virtues, and the tunes were long enough to display guitar proficiency, but short enough to prevent self-indulgence and repetition. Each cut on here is a stone cold classic. One of the best basic "best of's" commercially released. Excellent introduction to the wonderful world of surf.
1. Pipeline - The Chantays 2. Mr. Moto - The Belairs 3. Wipe Out - The Surfaris
4. Underwater - The Frogmen 5. Misirlou - Dick Dale And The Del-Tones
6. Diamond Head - The Ventures 7. Baja - The Astronauts
8. Surfer's Stomp - The Mar-Kets 9. Bustin' Surfboards - The Tornadoes
10. Penetration - The Pyramids 11. Mr. Rebel - Eddie and The Showmen
12. Fiberglass Jungle - The Crossfires 13. K-39 - The Challengers
14. Point Panic - The Surfaris 15. Let's Go Trippin' - Dick Dale And The Del-Tones
16. Surf Rider - The Lively Ones 17. Soul Surfer - Johnny Fortune 18.The Lonely Surfer - Jack Nitzsche
AND NOW, THE NEWS...
7 months ago