The Ultralounge series -- in addition to being great collections of music that straddle the line between irony and good music -- also have commendable art production, with the best examples being their Fuzzy and Tiki samplers.Some really great tracks on this one: Billy May's "The Look of Love" is probably the very best song on here. The brass sounds so full and robust (especially at the end), and the bossa beat only adds to the magic. The same brass feeling goes for "A Taste of Honey." I couldn't stop humming this one, either, especially the cool decrescendo part. Love those muted trumpets! I also liked Peggy Lee's cool take on "The Boy from Ipanema." I was happy to see that "Brazil," a favorite tune of mine since I saw the movie (also great!), and was intrigued by the odd melody of "The Inch Worm." I've always liked the "Get Smart" theme, and who doesn't love "Just A Gigolo?" Every time I hear it, I laugh and think of David Lee Roth's video. I was also fascinated with the almost hallucinatory "Light My Fire." I was very pleased to see that Martin Denny and Les Baxter, who helmed my two favorites from the Fuzzy Sampler, were back again. And, of course, they offered up equally intoxicating selections (if anything can compare to Baxter's brilliant "Voodoo Dreams," on the first Sampler). I can't wait to buy Denny and Baxter's sets! Perhaps my very favorite on the disc, though, was Mel Torme's truly outstanding cover of "Happy Together." Quite possibly one of the world's catchiest songs, Torme conquers the tricky-yet- simple melody and swings it out of the universe. He especially shines toward the end, when he really jazzes up the melody after singing it relatively straight. The Tiki Sampler was just another example of the gems the Ultra-Lounge has to offer, and you should mine them all as soon as possible.
1. The Munster's Theme - Jack Marshall 2. My Three Sons - Nelson Riddle
3. So Danco Samba - Wanda De Sah 4. The Look Of Love - Billy May
5. The Boy From Ipanema - Peggy Lee 6. Just A Gigilo/I Ain't Got Nobody - Louis Prima 7. Theme From The Apartment - Tito Rodriguez
8. Moon River - Henry Jerome 9. The Inch Worm - Jack Costanzo
10. Brazil - Tino Contreras 11. Oh Honey - Gloria Wood
12. Guys & Dolls - Terry Snyder 13. Light My Fire - Zacharias
14. Happy Together - Mel Torme 15. Go Chango - Les Baxter
16. Cubano Chant - Martin Denny 17. A Taste Of Honey - Jackie Gleason
18. Come On A My House - Julie London 19. Wives & Lovers - Lena Horne
20. Wave - Nancy Wilson 21. My Baby Just Cares For Me - June Hutton
22. I Dig Chicks - Jonah Jones 23. Get Smart/Casino Royal - Pourcel Agents
24. Untitled - Various Artists 25. Untitled - Various Artists
AND NOW, THE NEWS...
2 months ago