The soundtrack to a surfing documentary, this turns out to be one of the more entertaining albums of the year while ranging far and wide over the landscape. The Aqua Velvets and the Mermen contribute snarling, twanging, crashing surf guitar stomp, with an assist from Scott Henderson on the frantic jazz guitar tip (having these three start out the album with back-to-back cuts is a perfect approach). To lighten and leaven things, there are contributions from Peppino D'Agostino, Jerry Riopelle, Strunz & Farah and Willie & Lobo, making for an album that revs the engines from time to time, but never hits the point of burnout. Great guitar styles throughout. twangtastic.
1. Bravado - The Aqua Velvets 2. Honeybomb - The Mermen 3. Hole Diggin' - Scott Henderson 4. Spanish Blue - The Aqua Velvets 5. Tarantula - Peppino D'Agostino
6. Be My Noir - The Mermen 7. Beyond The Dunes - Peppino D'Agostino
8. Sweet Meanderings - Willie & Lobo 9. Ida Y Vuelta - Strunz & Farah
10. Calypso Facto - Peppino D'Agostino 11. Ocean Beach - The Mermen
12. Swampabilly Hop - The Aqua Velvets 13. Bahia De Banderas - Willie & Lobo
14. Naked - Jerry Riopelle 15. Too Many Gittars - Scott Henderson
16. Follow Your Dreams - Jerry Riopelle
AND NOW, THE NEWS...
10 months ago