Thursday, April 3, 2008

Listen To The Banned - 20 risque songs from the 20's and 30's

Listen To The Banned: 20 Risqué Songs Of The 20s and 30s offers quite a collection of shameless tunes from the 1920s and the 1930s. These songs were banned from being broadcast by the BBC; however in retrospect they are actually rather humorous. The playful and romantic nature of these songs also makes them timeless not simply because they are funny and amusing but also because romance and sexuality are universal human experiences. The CD boasts many songs with great musical arrangements and strong performances. I especially like Sophie Tucker singing "He Hadn't Up Till Yesterday;" Cliff Edwards' "I'm A Bear In A Lady's Boudoir" and "I'm Going To Give It To Mary With Love" as well as Ross and Sargent performing "Nellie, The Nudi$t Queen." Excellent! There are more daring songs on this CD that would rattle some people even today. The Durium Dance Band performs "Let's All Be Fairies;" "I've Gone And Lost My Yo-Yo" by Billy Cotton and his band and Randolph Sutton chuckles all the way through "Or Anything Else I've Got!" The sound reproduction from the 78s is rather good although of course there is some surface noise. I enjoy every minute of this CD! I recommend it for anyone who likes nostalgic pop vocals from the 1920s and the 1930s. These are not just silly songs by unknowns; in fact you will be especially pleased as Sophie Tucker, Gertrude Lawrence, Mae West and Cliff Edwards are all represented here. Get this CD and have fun listening over and over again!

1. I've Gone And Lost My Little Yo-Yo - Billy Cotton And His Band
2. With My Little Ukelele In My Hand - George Formby And His Ukelele
3. A Guy What Takes His Time - Mae West
4. She Was Only A Postmaster's Daughter, But... - Durium Dance Band
5. Nellie, The Nudist Queen - Ross And Sargent
6. My Private Affair - Dawn Davis
7. What's It? - Jimmie Rodgers
8. He Hadn't Up Till Yesterday - Sophie Tucker
9. Winnie The Worm - Ronald Frankau
10. I'm A Bear In A Lady's Boudoir - Cliff Edwards
11. Everyone's Got Sex Appeal For Someone - Ronald Frankau And Monte Crick
12. All Poshed Up With My Daisies In My Hand - Charlie Higgins
13. Pu-leeze! Mister Hemingway! - Elsie Carlisle
14. Let's All be Fairies - Durium Dance Band
15. I'm Going To Give It To Mary With Love - Cliff Edwards
16. The Physician - Gertrude Lawrence
17. No Wonder She's A Blushing Bride - Art Fowler And His Ukelele
18. Flora McDonald - Douglas Byng
19. Or Anything Else I've Got! - Randolph Sutton
20. And So Does He - Dawn Davis

banned1

banned2

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Link two provided no MP3s.

Unknown said...

Link 2 provided no

DaBoss said...

Hi There:
Just a reminder, you need both parts 1 and 2 together in the same folder in order to get them to open. It is designed to extract both parts at one time -- so you will only get one folder with both parts in it. Part 2 does not open without part one and vice versa. Check your master folder and you will have the full 135 mgs if you has both parts. Enjoy.

glauberovsky said...

thanx, daboss, for this cool post.

GLAUBER

Unknown said...

First, thanks for all the cool posts. This still produces no additional items on my Mac.

zappahead said...

Thank you for making this collection available.....billy cotton with racy lyrics?....whatever next.....thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails