When compiling music, it is common to stick to a certain `theme' for the compilation. This installment of Coming Home on the Stereo Deluxe label sees an accomplished collection of music that has been included in the French film genre, as compiled by Marc Collin (Nouvelle Vague).
Excellent female contributions are seen on such compositions as Vladimir Cosma's "Maldonne," which features sweet melodies filled with strings both bowed and strung, a blissful brass section fronted with jazzy female scat-like vocals which all take place underneath a certain `Brazilian lounge' air that is represented throughout the tune.
Seven songs into today's compilation we are happily reminded that the late Piero Umiliani has left the world a much better place with a playful bossa nova number titled, "Cinque Bambole." Forming a stunning melody out of the act of `counting to five' along with an extremely rockin' groove, this summertime beach party anthem is a dusty treasure waiting to be taken out of the record bin and played until winter skies bring our warm days to an end.
Nearing the later part of our voyage through French film music via Coming Home, we couldn't have possibly overlooked Ennio Morricone's "Le Due Stagioni Della Vita," for this sweet & symphonic arrangement foretells of bright spring days after the long cold winter as embracive vocals meld into the finely-tuned strings and piano that make up the base of this beautiful piece.
Slightly prior to the end credits rolling on today's feature, we catch a small breeze, much like that off the wings of a butterfly on Philippe Sarde's "La Chanson D' Helene (Vocal Version)," which not only offers a breath of fresh air, but radiates the sensation of black & white `pictures' being played on the screen of an old-time theater.
1. Gato Barbieri - Last Tango In Paris
2. Lalo Shifrin - On The Way To San Mateo" (LP Version)
3. David Shire - The Taking Of Pelham 1, 2, 3
4. Michel Legrand - A Man's Castle
5. Vladimir Cosma - Maldonne" (O.S.T.)
6. Armando Trovajoli - Dramma Della Gelosia" (Titoli)
7. Piero Umiliani - Cinque Bambole (Vers.Coro)
8. Nino Rota - O Venezia, Venaga, Venusia
9. Michel Colombier - L'Heritier
10. Alain Goraguer - Deshominisation
11. Eric Demarsan - Theme De Gerbier/Bof L'Armee Des Ombres
12. Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem Pour Un Con/Bof Le Pache
13. François De Roubaix - Loin/Bof Tante Zita
14. Philippe Sarde - La Chanson D'Helene (Vocal Version)
15. John Barry - 007 And Counting (Diamonds Are Forever)
16. Marc Collin - Rendez-Vous A L'Evidence
17. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Gohatto (Opening Theme)
18. Ennio Morricone - Le Due Stagioni Della Vita
19. Philippe Sarde - Generique
20. Vangelis - La Petite Fille De La Mer
AND NOW, THE NEWS...
2 months ago