Disney Music can sometimes seem a little too ... well ... Disney. Neat, catchy little tunes sung by voices that you just KNOW have never seen a zit in their lives. Subject matter that is trite at best, portraying characters so cute that they're almost embarrassing.
Embarrassing, because even at thirty years old, you still whistle Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah from "Song of the South" when you're happy.
Fear not, closet Disney-phile. This album takes all those songs from your favorite movies, and gives them an adult twist. This album will serve a two-fold purpose. First, you can get your fix of Disney anytime your middleaged-child heart desires. But most importantly, if you get "caught" by your friends, you can pass it off as serious music.
Whether a mere fresh coat of paint (as with "I Wanna Be Like You" from Jungle Book) to a slight sarcastic tone on old favorites (Sinead O'Conner singing "Someday My Prince Will Come" -- 'nuff said there!), to downright spooky versions of bettime songs (Suzanne Vega's acapella version of "Stay Awake"), to absolutely twisted rehashes of formerly tired standby's (Tom Waite rebuilds "Heigh Ho" in his own graven image), this album is a fantastic work. It not only transforms these scores into wonderful new pieces of art, but it also remains true to the basic spirit of Disney. Perhaps it is irreverent in places. Yes, it may even poke a little fun at our favorite childhood icon. But it is still a respectful tribute to the original artists who put these tunes in our heads in the first place.
1. Opening Medley (I'm Getting Wet and I Don't Care at All): Hi Diddle De - Hal Willner
2. Baby Mine - Bonnie Raitt, Was (Not Was)
3. Heigh-Ho! (The Dwarfs' Marching Song) - Tom Waits
4. Medley Two (The Darkness Sheds Its Veil): Stay Awake/Little Wooden Hen - Hal Willner
5. Medley Three (Three Inches Is Such a Wretched Height): Castle in Spain - Buster Poindexter, Yma Sumac
6. Mickey Mouse March - Aaron Neville
7. Medley Four (All Innocent Children Had Better Beware): Feed the Birds - Hal Willner
8. Someday My Prince Will Come - Sinéad O'Connor
9. Medley Five (Technicolor Pachyderms): Pink Elephants on Parade/Zip-A- - Harry Nilsson, Sun Ra & His Arkestra
10. Second Star to the Right - James Taylor
11. Pinocchio Medley (Do You See the Nose Growing?): Desolation Theme/Wh - Hal Willner
AND NOW, THE NEWS...
8 months ago